Friday, April 24, 2009

The Three Musketeers

The Three Musketeers
Hello Pulp Friends,

As promised, here's a quick recap of my wonderful time at FX show this past weekend :)

First let me thank Mike Herz and Marc Hammond and all the wonderful FX team for the warm welcome at my first FX show and for being so kind and nice to my wife and me.
It was great to see old friends (too many to list them here) and meet new ones (like the Austrialian Ben Templesmith and the Italian Gianluca Pagliarani and his friend Giovanni). I had also the pleasure to meet two very talented artists whose work I admire: Sergio Cariello, artist of Lone Ranger and a gazillion of other books, and Ruben Procopio, former artist and sculptor at Disney and now artist of all things Pulp at Moonstone. I was surprised to find out that both had Italian grandparents, and since we had so many things in common (italian roots, pulp love, mustaches-goatee-glasses ;-)) we decided to call ourselves the three Musketeers. Needless to say, once back home, I HAD to do this (see above) :) Let's see if you can figure out who is who ;)

Zorro and the Brain in a Jar
Other highlights of the trip to Florida have been: the one day trip to Disney's Epcot (thanks to the sweet Ken and Rachel), mine and my wife very first time at Disneyworld (and I got beer too - yay ;)); the wonderful night out and dinner with the awesome Kathryn and Stuart Immonen and Ruben; the Pulp panel on SUnday morning with the brothers Sergio and Ruben (of course! ;)); the cool deck of cards featuring artwork from most of the guests of the show, just such a cool and neat idea (below is my Jack of Spades) for such a noble cause: benefit the American Cancer Society.

All in all, just some really great time :)

Cheers,
Francesco

Black Coat Jack of SPades

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a wonderful time, Francesco! Glad to hear it.

Unknown said...

this really sounds like a lot of fun time , when we can see new artwork for the black beetle ?

Francesco Francavilla said...

Hopefully we will get at the some con together sometimes, Dave, so we will have some more wonderful pulp time :)
Slavi: I am plotting the first episode now and anything I show would give away bits of the story, so I might hold on some more BB artwork for a bit and go back to the Shadow Radio shows.
It's not gonna be a long waiting for the new BB stuff, though, so stay tuned! :)

CHeers,
Francesco