Thursday, January 8, 2009

Masters of Horror: Poe and Lovecraft

EA Poe
Hello Pulp Friends,

No, I am not talking about the SHowtime tv series but of the Masters of the modern Horror Literature. Here are two very recent commission/sketches which I was very happy to draw because are about two of my favorite writers ever (and yes, they definitely qualify as Pulp writers). Not the classic portrait we are used to see, but I like to "play" every now and then :)
I don't think I need to introduce them, do I? I do think, though, that I need to finish that Lovecraft short tale adaptation (The Outsider) I started a long time ago. It was coming along so nicely :)

Cheers!
Francesco

HP Lovecraft

6 comments:

Greg said...

Wicked cool, man, two of my favorite writers from your drawing board. In fact Lovecraft's been on my mind, this last few days my status update on Facebook has been a Lovecraft quote, not even from a story but from his account of a dream that influenced the story "Call of Cthulhu": "I answered that I could recall no other identity save in dreams".
Great work again, I especially like how you caught Poe's high forehead. Hope all is well, best wishes.

michaeljsmith said...

beautiful work - recently discovered this blog and am loving it, your work always rocks

SIMON said...

Fantastic likenesses! I love the background on Poe too, especially his little wings.

Francesco Francavilla said...

Greg: thank you so much, and cool to hear about the Lovecraftian "syncronicity" and the beautiful quote :)
BrikHed: glad to have you on board and thank you so much for the kind words :)
Simon: thank you :) The crow wings were a must, but have you noticed the little skulls in the starry sky? ;)

Cheers,
Francesco

Unknown said...

....
Who are these guys??

Bwa-ha-ha-ha! I'm just kidding. Kudos to your taste in portraits, Francesco, and I have to say the Poe one in particular is surrealistically wonderful!
-Dave

Francesco Francavilla said...

Thank you, Dave :D I have been drawing these two guys quite a few times so I am glad I can afford a more confident approach and push the facial features a bit ;)

Cheers,
Francesco